6 things I witnessed on my first day in Japan in the town of Narita:
- An eel being killed and prepared for grilling
- A pond of a billion large coy fish fighting for food
- A temple ceremony that involved the Buddhist priest taking peoples handbags and holding them over fire (at first I was very scared they were going to drop them in but this was not a risk others were concerned about)
- A room of at least ten thousand small Buddah statues behind a large glass case
- many many types of food that I have no idea what it is
- two small cemeteries where the statues of monks wore small red knitted caps
There is a lot to learn here and I am looking forward to my final two months of my fellowship! Time to go out with a bang!